"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes"
-Marcel Proust

Monday, April 5, 2010

Heart Broken

My son moved out.  Not actually out of the house, he's only 3.  He moved out of my bed. Completely out of the blue he went to sleep in his own bed.  At first I thought it was just a cruel April fools day joke but when he went into his own bed the second and third night I knew it wasn't a joke.  Even when I sublimely suggested that he might like to to sleep in my bed he still chose his own. My heart is broken ( just a little) and now something isn't right when I go to bed at night.  It's just not the same.  The balance has been shifted and I don't like it.  What am I going to do when he goes to school?

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to how you must have felt Loretta. I had similar pangs when our daughter Hannah started sleeping in her own room...she wasn't weaned until two and a half! Then when she started school I remember cleaning the house from top to bottom the cooker had never sparkled so much...Then when she left for uni....

    She graduated last week and we just got back in the early hours this morning from moving her into her fourth shared student house in London (we're in Oxford) and she asked us if we wanted to stay over. Our relationship has never been so good, she rings almost every day, we catch up regularly email, text and facebook. She's working for a year but talks about coming home for a year after that before doing more studies...

    I do believe that saying about 'give me the boy until he's four and I'll show you the man'....I'm sure that your little man will never forget these early years with you and you'll always be close to his heart...

    ReplyDelete