"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes"
-Marcel Proust

Monday, July 19, 2010

Out To Dry

I have lived in Canada for over 15 years and since I have been here I have had to use an electric clothes dryer to dry my washing.  Clothes lines are just not Canadian, at least for the majority.  Granted the temperature here isn't really suitable for most of the time. Nobody wants to hang their clothes on the line when the temperature is 22 degrees below zero but even when the sun does shine most people rely on the clothes tumbler. The problem for me is that it's just so UN Australian.  Every time I turn on the dryer I am drowning in this enormous sea of guilt. That's a lot of guilt when you calculate fifteen years worth.  So recently my lovely husband and I built  this beautiful clothes line to hang our washing on.  I love it sooooo much, even if I can only use it for 3 months of the year.  I know it doesn't seem like much to make a fuss about  but it is worth a million dollars to me.  I love the crisp fresh smell of air dried clothes.  I love the feeling of a scratchy towel when I get out of the shower.  I especially love the moment of solitude I experience when I'm hanging out the clothes. It is one of lifes simple pleasures.  Now I will admit that my new clothes line is no Hills Hoist but I think Lance Hill would still be proud. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment